Being involved in a car accident can be overwhelming and distressing. If you're an accident victim, it's critical to understand the steps to take to protect your well-being and rights. Because car crash matters can involve intricate underlying laws, you should pick an experienced personal injury attorney to help you.
What Should You Do After a SC Car Accident?
A car accident can cause bodily harm, destruction of property, or even death. You must stop your car at the accident scene if you're involved in a crash. You should also demonstrate that your vehicle is covered by insurance. South Carolina law requires that drivers involved in a car crash must show proof of coverage within 15 days of the crash. If you don't, you can risk suspension of your driving license and your car's registration. In addition to reporting your accident, you should also do the following:
- Contact the police to report the crash: A law enforcement officer will arrive at the scene after a car accident to take details of the impact. The police will establish whether the accident happened due to a violation of driving rules and which driver will be placed at fault for the crash. The report from the police is critical as it will be part of the evidence in court.
- Seek medical attention after the accident: Getting checked by a doctor after an accident is critical. Even if you don't feel injured initially, it's important to seek medical attention. Remember, you might not experience all trauma pains immediately after the crash. For example, some issues like internal bleeding and brain damage become apparent after some time and, if not treated right away, can result in long-lasting injury. A professional evaluation by a doctor helps you understand your condition after the crash.
- Capture essential details: Capturing the other driver's and accident witnesses' details is vital. Ensure you have the other driver's name and motor vehicle insurance details. Ask witnesses for their names and contact details so that they can validate your story.
- Take images of the crash scene: Ensure that you jot down the place of the crash and take pictures of the location and damage to all vehicles affected. You should also write down all the information you can recall about the crash.
- Consult an attorney: An experienced attorney in South Carolina will help you pursue your case and get the proper compensation for the injuries and damages. The attorney can speak with the insurance company and collect evidence demonstrating the liability of the at-fault driver as well as the damages of the injured client.
Contact the Law Office of Tyler Rody to Speak with an Experienced Spartanburg Car Accident Lawyer
Call the Law Office of Tyler Rody for a free consultation with experienced lawyer Tyler Rody. Contact Tyler at (864) 381-7969 or through the website to book your free consultation.