Truck accidents are an unfortunate but far too common occurrence on South Carolina's highways. According to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety, over 5,000 collisions involving commercial motor vehicles happened in our state last year alone. While truck drivers are well-trained professionals, these heavy, complex vehicles also have their fair share of risks.
Various factors can contribute to truck crashes that lead to catastrophic injuries and fatalities. In this article, we'll discuss some of the most frequent causes of truck accidents in South Carolina. It is crucial for drivers to understand the potential hazards involving tractor-trailers and how to steer clear of them. You may be entitled to compensation if you or a loved one has been involved in a collision with an 18-wheeler.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents In Spartanburg
- Driver Fatigue: Driver fatigue is one of the leading causes of traffic accidents. Tight schedules, pressure to meet deadlines, emotional stress, and long hours on the road can lead to fatigue. Fatigued truck drivers are more likely to make errors in judgment and have slower reaction times.
- Speeding: Excessive speeding can be as dangerous as fatigued driving. Heavy commercial vehicles require longer distances to stop or make turns, so speeding reduces the driver's ability to react to unforeseen traffic conditions or obstacles.
- Overloaded Or Improperly Loaded Trucks: Another major cause of truck accidents is overloading or improper loading of cargo. Imbalance can affect the stability and handling of the track, which can cause the driver to lose control. This mostly happens when braking or turning.
- Poor Visibility: Larger commercial trucks have larger blind spots, making it difficult for drivers to see smaller vehicles and other road users around them. In most cases, failure to check blind spots and mirrors can lead to crashes when merging or switching lanes.
- Distracted Driving: Distractions can significantly impair a driver's ability to react to road conditions, increasing the risk of accidents. Smartphone use, adjusting vehicle controls, eating and drinking, grooming, and in-truck entertainment systems are all common causes of driver distraction.
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance: Trucks, like other vehicles, need regular maintenance to operate efficiently and safely. Poor maintenance, such as brake or tire issues, can lead to fatal accidents when critical systems fail.
Contact an Experienced Spartanburg Truck Accident Lawyer
When truck accidents in South Carolina are caused by negligence or misconduct, victims may have grounds to pursue legal action. If an 18-wheeler crash resulted from fatigued driving, negligent hiring, poor vehicle maintenance, or any other preventable cause, the trucking company may be held financially accountable in addition to the truck driver . The Law Office of Tyler Rody can evaluate your case to determine your legal options and help you seek compensation.
Contact us at (864) 381-7969 to schedule a free consultation with our Spartanburg truck accident lawyer, Tyler Rody, and get the help you need.